[personal profile] hermitgeecko
As some of you know, I read [livejournal.com profile] theferrett's LJ reliably. Around Christmas, he invites folks to post cheesecake pictures. So most of the comments on the post are (of course) pictures of breasts, but there was one comment that really made me laugh....

"I feel really stupid for asking, but what exactly is a cheesecake picture? I tried Googling it and got... pictures of cheesecake. Which is honestly what I was expecting when I clicked the comments link. I'm slow sometimes. Also, now craving cheesecake."

Poor kid.

Date: 2009-12-26 07:47 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] joyeous.livejournal.com
Well, he/she's not the only one.

I clicked the link to that person's lj too, and now I'm even more confused as to WTF is going on in that thread. Probably best to just say, yes, that is just great. :-)

Date: 2009-12-26 08:01 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] hermitgeecko.livejournal.com
Oh. Maybe the term isn't as prevalent as I thought it was (I wonder if it's a Midwest thing?) A cheesecake shot is like a pinup girl pose. Usually with breasts.

Date: 2009-12-26 08:05 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] joyeous.livejournal.com
Haha. No, it is *very* possible it is just me. Let's see what others say. :-)

Date: 2009-12-26 08:20 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] sister-bluebird.livejournal.com
It's pretty widespread. The male equivalent is usually beefcake.

Date: 2009-12-26 08:23 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] londo.livejournal.com
Yeah, I second this "what-does-this-term-mean-now-I'm-hungry" reaction.

Though, as luck would have it, I'm currently quite close to an eggnog-flavored cheesecake.

Now I'm thinking of what would happen if I asked my flist for cleavage shots, and I'm pretty sure there's some amazing cleavage to be had, there. I am even more sure that my mom reads my LJ.

Date: 2009-12-26 08:40 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] redfishie.livejournal.com
The only reason I'm familiar with the term is that I remember an epsiode of the Facts of Life where Edna has a cheescake drawing on a billboard while trying to sell..cheesecake.

Date: 2009-12-26 09:21 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] realitybuster.livejournal.com
Huh. Count me in the "I'm surprised that people don't know this term" camp.

Date: 2009-12-26 11:09 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] lerite.livejournal.com
Google is not the correct place to look. Urbandictionary is a lot more help with "what does this word mean and why are there boobies?" as long as you have a strong stomach.

Date: 2009-12-26 11:31 pm (UTC)
cos: (Default)
From: [personal profile] cos
I'm not surprised (though I am amused) that one person didn't know it. I am surprised that you've now got a few comments from other people who don't know the term.

Date: 2009-12-28 12:44 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] daid.livejournal.com
I think 'cheesecake' I and I think of the time a foreigner came into our office and my officemate introduced himself by his first name, Shinsuke, as opposed to the usual Japanese custom of his family name.

So I piped over the cubical, Your name's cheesecake?!

Not because I don't know his name, but just for fun.

He told me later his name is not cheesecake.

What do I call pin-up girls?

"Standard office decoration in nuclear physics."

Date: 2009-12-27 03:01 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] gee-tar.livejournal.com
I think sometimes people who've heard of this assume terms like these are more widespread than they are. I suppose it's a common fallacy that when in doubt, assume people you know also know what you know.

Personally, while I have heard of "cheesecake" before, the first time I heard it I feigned knowledge until I figured out what it was based upon context.

Date: 2009-12-27 06:27 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] contradictacat.livejournal.com
Yay, I'm not the only person who does that! That is also totally what I did the first few times I heard that phrase.

Date: 2009-12-27 06:53 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] khyros.livejournal.com
I've heard and known the term Beefcake for a while, but I never knew the original from which it is apparently derived, never heard it until reading this.

Date: 2009-12-27 07:29 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] beloitst.livejournal.com
I grew up in the midwest and have never heard the term cheesecake to refer to women pin ups, though I have heard beefcake -- though I would use that to describe physique, and not a specific type of photograph or pose.

Date: 2011-01-20 12:27 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] sparr0.livejournal.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheesecake_%28pin-up%29

Not a very common term. I had never heard it until today, and I've worked / watched / done a lot of pinup photo shoots.

Profile

hermitgeecko

September 2014

S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
1415161718 1920
21222324252627
282930    

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 4th, 2026 03:34 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios